MGM Grand – The venue for WPPI
WPPI: A review
Last week I flew out to the Las Vegas to attend WPPI, a photography conference and trade show which was held at the MGM Convention center. There were speakers from all over the world sharing their experiences and knowledge on pretty much everything to do with the photography industry from technique, lighting, posing, marketing, SEO, workflow, branding and much more…
A few people asked me why I flew out all the way from Merry Olde England to go to Las Vegas for WPPI. So I thought I’d share it with you all..
1. To learn from the best. A lot of the best portrait and wedding photographers & teachers attend WPPI and I was able to listen and meet some of the best in the industry and that is essential to my growth as a photographer.
2. To network with my peers. I was able to meet a lot of photographers face to face, whom I was so only ever able speak to over forums such as The B School, The Ice Society and The Showit Group on facebook.
3. To meet vendors. This was a great way for me to find out about new resources/changes in the industry and technology directly from the vendors.
4. To go to Vegas (like that wasn’t a selling points in itself!) Ha!
5. For the experience. I feel like the last week was one of the best experiences ever. I learnt so much and now feel so much clearer in my goals both personally and for my business.
The B School party. I was able to meet so many people that I regularly speak to and get feedback from within the forums. Thanks Becker for organising a fun night!
Hearing Jerry Ghionis. I learn so much from him each time he speaks and learn a lot from The Ice Society, a great resource for photographers. He also showcased his images from his wedding, some of which he shot himself. You can check them out here.
Other great speakers I heard were Jerry Avenaim, Jim Garner, Zach and Jody Gray, Cliff Mautner and Art Suwansang.
Photographers Ignite Hearing so many speakers in one room speak for 5 minutes each was very interesting and fun! I definitely recommend checking out the replay of this when its live. I also created a list of all the photographers from ignite on twitter. You can follow it here
I think next year I’ll go to some more classes where I can shoot, it was awesome to shoot in London with Beckstead at SWPP in January. Shooting in the desert in Vegas is one thing I still need to cross off my list!
Here are some more images from the week …
Becker also organised to take some head shots for members of the B School and any one else who wanted to go. I jumped at the chance! You can check out everyone’s head shots here. Thanks B for the awesome headshot!
I decided to organise a shoot out in Vegas and tweeted if anyone wanted to meet up. Several photographers replied and altogether there were 7 or so of us. After some complications with the models, Raven Mathis and Lacy Lange kindly allowed the group to shoot them before they went to a 50′s party they were going to that night. Thank you so much guys! We all had a blast.
Here are a few of the images..
We then headed outside on the Vegas strip and was able to take this of Raven
Here are a few images I took while walking around on the last day of WPPI. I tried out a few different things and experimented a bit more.. I hope you like ;)
I can’t wait for next years WPPI .. I’ll definitely be there!
All the best,